1. Health

Does Megan Fox Have Borderline Personality?

By September 6, 2009

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) doesn't get a lot of press, but it has been in the headlines this week, all because Megan Fox (star of the Transformers movies and the new movie Jennifer's Body) thinks that she has the disorder. She told Wonderland magazine, ""I basically read every book ever written about Marilyn Monroe. I could end up like that because I constantly struggle with the idea that I think I'm a borderline personality - or that I have bouts of mild schizophrenia."

Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of press BPD needs. Ms. Fox hasn't been diagnosed with BPD by any mental health professional (as far as we know). And she seems to have it confused with psychotic disorders, like schizophrenia. This story just perpetuates more myths about BPD (e.g., it can be self-diagnosed, it is "on the border" of psychosis).

Comments
September 9, 2009 at 4:40 am
(1) Bonita Johnson says:

Despite the negative publicity – it’s not necessarily a bad thing! It opens up the subject and highlights the field – eliciting more inquiries where interest lies…
It is in response to this that ABOUT.COM then responds and it feeds back into a positive media exercise!
Keep up the good work!

September 18, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(2) Kate says:

I think it is very unfortunate that she made such a reference to Marylin Manson. It’s a negative stigma builder for certain. Honestly, I am very worried that the people who actually have BPD are going to find themselves in a society that knows about it, but thinks it’s so common that it’s not a big deal, and a society of people who misconstrue normal difficult emotions as those of BPD which are much more intense and difficult to re-pattern.

September 25, 2009 at 3:36 am
(3) john says:

uh dude she said marilyn monroe, not marilyn manson. pretty big difference

September 26, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(4) Kate says:

woospie. my bad.

eye lurned two reed n right in skool, i sware!

still. i am so annoyed. i can’t explain well why, but it just seems so flimsy and reckless of a statement.
there is no glamour in my disorder.
there is no spot light.

young girls and people put stars on a pedestal, and it just seems like bad press for BPD, she should have been more extensive and thoughtful in what she had to say about it.

bottom line i suppose– are people going to go around diagnosing themselves with BPD? i guess it’s possible.

maybe this is my BPD speaking
but i think she is a shallow woman with her priorites in the wrong place.

she is on the cover of rolling stone this month. next to a subtitle “the plot to kill health care reform”. it got me to thinking,

who the hell needs doctors anyway?
we got books.

September 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm
(5) Kate says:

I wish I could edit or delete comments, but I can’t.

I realize docs write the books, but…

My initial reaction is: I hope people don’t think of Megan Fox if I tell them I have BPD.

I really really don’t like her. I want to put her in a slum in Africa and watch her squirm.

September 26, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(6) Kate says:

I’ve had to reread the article I am responding to. Clearly I glossed over it.

I actually thought she said she read books on BPD.
She’s read books by Marylin Monroe and wants to be like her, so she is pretending to be like her.
Seem so simple.

I wish I could sue her (for negligence) and make her go to a doc for a real diagnosis to set all this straight.
those suffering with bpd deserve nothing less.

December 7, 2009 at 8:02 am
(7) heather says:

As a young aspiring actress with BPD, I hope one day I can shed some light on it in a positive way. Teach people about it. Help them understand and see how many people are affected and what it means for someone who has it. Make people aware so they can get their children who display symptoms diagnosed early and get treatment asap before it gets worse. One thing though, it’s hard to imagine being in the public eye like that as a borderline. I think it would make me worse, if I ever became that successful and had publicity like that. It really is the wrong career business wise..but the art side of it is the perfect escape to channel it. I just hope, somehow, I can bring that message..use my pain and help others with theirs, you know?