1. Health

NFL Player Brandon Marshall Reveals He Has Borderline Personality

By August 10, 2011

Late last month, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall became the second major figure to disclose a borderline personality disorder diagnosis this summer. The disclosure came on the heels of  Dr. Marsha Linehan's revelation in late June. But, does this mark a turning point in the fight against stigma?

Marshall does seem intent on educating the public about BPD. He told the Sun-Sentinel newspaper that he is trying to become an advocate for greater awareness and medical coverage for the disorder (Marshall recently completed a treatment program at McLean Hospital outside of Boston that cost upwards of $60,000).

What do you think? Does Marshall's disclosure change the "face of BPD?"

Comments
August 21, 2011 at 8:56 pm
(1) Brit says:

I hope him telling his story will help get more funding & research for the disorder. What I hope will not happen is BPD will become a fad, like ADHD – where many people are blindly diagnosed with it or think they have it.

August 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm
(2) Jeanne says:

I praise this man for his openness. Especially after receiving treatment he can help others see that treatment can help. Most BPD patients are discouraged because there are not enough trained specialists to help with therapy.
BPD itself causes patients to fear trying to fix their thinking to have a better life. The abandonment issues whether real or imagined mean the therapist must find a way to help the patient feel comfortable in themself – huge issue!
I hope this football player is able t bring awareness to the BPD counseling. I am thrilled he stepped up to the admission of having this illness andwe all need the encouragement not just the patients but the families living with the patients.

August 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(3) Vonna Nelson says:

I would be curious to know if he felt like the treatment program helped him. and if so, what was the most helpful

August 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm
(4) Ziggy says:

I agree with what Brit said in her comment, that telling his story will help get more funding & research for the disorder. If he can help advocate so that the insurance companies would be willing to help defray the costs of treatment, all the better!

Currently, I am struggling to find a treatment facility where I can go to that would have intense treatment for the condition. It seems that just going to my local Recovery Resource Center, is not enough or not enough to help “jump start” what I had hoped would help me get better. Having access to an insurance that would help cover some of the costs of in-hospital treatment would help me immensely in my recovery plan.

August 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(5) Randi Kreger says:

I am really glad that this face is a man who would have been in prison if not for the fact he was a football player. It shows the diversity of people who have BPD. He probably has some comorbidity as well.

August 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm
(6) Holly says:

Even with good insurance coverage, most insurers will not cover hospitalization unless the patient is in crisis mode – ie, suicidal or homocidal. Once the possibility of harming self or others is over, the patient is released to continue outpatient therapy. Insurance companies are not willing to go the long haul, most likely because there is no cure, only maintenance, and residential care is extremely expensive. That is the sad fact about most mental health disorders and insurance – they cover the crises, but not the preventative care.

August 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm
(7) Spike Dawg says:

Must be nice to have an extra $60K laying around for treatment. I’m not that lucky, nor rich. My BPD will eventually be the death of me, that I have already accepted. The only questions are when, where and how. It’s just too damn big and I am tossing in the towel.

September 1, 2011 at 8:05 am
(8) K.B. says:

I was diagnosed with BPD at 21, I’ve been to several different treatments, nothing seemed to work. I am nearly 30 today and still have ups and downs, but have managed to find an amazing support system. I, like many, can’t afford professional treatments, but I would like to mention, meditation.
I have been meditating for about 2 years and I have noticed a significant difference in my psyche. I would reccomend it to anyone, with or without BPD. There is plenty of information out there on the topic, and it’s fairly simple to do. This is not by any means the end all for BPD but personally, meditation has made a great difference in my life (taking 10min out of every day), the “crises” have become fewer and fewer. While professional psycho-therapy is most often the best choice, meditation is a useful tool for anyone looking to improve their mental health.

September 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm
(9) Susanne says:

Whenever I ask my p-doc about my diognoses, it’s always a Bi-Polar II answer. I would find out that drs, often times gave patients a 2nd diagnosis, if applicable. I wish I knew that fact back then. My 2nd dx is Borderline Personality Disorder. Well, I would find out differently, in the most screwed up and ir-responsbile manner!

I received something from Social Security. At the time, I was receving benefits for at least 7 years, so it was nothing out of the ordinary. I took out a big, thick file. I was so confused about what I was looking at. It wasn’t a letter or a re-cert. I turned it over and there was my name in black and white. Social Security accidentally sent me my entire file, from the moment I applied to the present day, with confidential letters from doctors, clinicians, social workers, psychologists, therapists, etc. There was also info about what jobs I had, even as a teenager! lol. Some of the jobs I completely forgot about! lol

Well, I can laugh about it now, but if that file got into
the wrong hands. I don’t want to think what could
have happened. I called Social Security, and
told them about the mailing mistake of my file. To say the least, they were stunned… I actually stunned them, for a change! lol

Anyway, the reason I brought that up, is b/c the whole time I was being told I had Bipolar II (I did look through my file; after all, it was MY file!! lol). Soc. Sec. told me not to look through the files. Well, a little too late, ‘dontcha’ think dolls? lol.

So, I researched BPD a little bit, and with what I’ve read about it I’m not surprised that I was diagnosed with it! I’ve been like this ever since I was a teen and it was so tough getting through those years with bpd!!

So sorry that the social security story was long, but I wanted to give you all a “visual,” and to let you know that even a government agency, like Social Security can screw up big time!
They proved that to me, quite clearly!!

September 9, 2011 at 8:44 am
(10) Kjo says:

I have been diagnosed with BPD since the age of 18…I am close to 26 now. I would never wish this horrible disorder on anyone, but I must say I was overjoyed that another public figure has come out as an advocate. The more public figures that do this, the more we can combat the unbearable stigma.

If you think of the large amount of celebrities who have come out saying they are Bipolar, and statistically there are more sufferers of BPD than Bipolar….you would think there would be even more who have BPD. I really hope more will come out and admit they have BPD, and show others that it’s not a death sentence and you can overcome it with the right treatment and meds.