Mindfulness skills training can be very helpful in reducing symptoms of borderline personality disorder, such as impulsivity and emotional instability. This mindful breathing exercise is a great way to start a mindfulness practice.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Sit in a comfortable position on the floor or in a chair. Sit upright, with your back straight (but not uncomfortably so).
- Gently bring your attention to your breath. There's no need to change how you are breathing in any way, but just notice each breath as you inhale and exhale.
- Be aware of the sensations in your body as you breathe; observe what parts of your body move as you breathe.
- If other thoughts come in to your mind as you practice, acknowledge them and then gently shift your awareness back to your breathing again.
- Continue for 2 to 3 minutes or more, as you like.
What You Need
- A quiet space
- Comfortable clothing